Registered Psychiatric Nurse Grade 3 (Prisons)
Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health
An exciting opportunity to join Forensicare's nursing team within our Prison Services!
- Multiple opportunities available, full time/part-time ongoing
- Based within our Prison Services (Melbourne Assessment Prison, Dame Phyllis Frost Centre, Ravenhall and Port Phillip Prison)
- Great salary packaging conditions and leave entitlements
- Free onsite parking
Forensicare (the Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health) is the leading provider of forensic mental health services across Victoria. We deliver recovery-focused programs to consumers with serious mental illnesses across the Victorian justice system, mental health sector, and the community--from early intervention and prevention, to inpatient care, rehabilitation, and community transition support.
Our services are delivered through:
- Thomas Embling Hospital: a secure mental health hospital
- Prison mental health services throughout Victoria
- Community Forensic Mental Health Service
We also work in partnership with Swinburne University of Technology through the Centre for Forensic Behavioural Science to deliver a forensic mental health research program, specialist training, and ongoing professional education.
Forensicare's Prison Mental Health Services are currently comprised of the following services provided under a Funding and Healthcare Services Agreement with Justice Health:
- Melbourne Assessment Prison - a 16-bed Acute Assessment Unit, specialist clinics, outpatient services and a reception assessment program;
- Dame Phyllis Frost Centre - a 20-bed mental health residential program, outreach support and therapeutic day program for women;
- Metropolitan Remand Centre – the Mobile Forensic Mental Health Service – mental health assessment, psychological intervention, mental health case management and transitions/pre-release planning for prisoners on remand with severe impaired mental functioning.
- Consultant psychiatric services and Nurse Practitioner services to the larger state-managed prisons;
- Satellite psychology services at Barwon prison and Marngoneet Correctional Centre
- Forensicare deliver comprehensive forensic mental health (FMH) services at the Ravenhall Correctional Centre, as a sub-contractor to the GEO group. The FMH services comprises of a bed based service for 75 prisoners and a large outpatients program. Over 100 Forensicare clinical and corporate support staff are located at the new prison.
- Forensicare provide specialist mental health services at Port Phillip Prison as a sub-contractor to G4S Correctional Services, operating a 30-bed psychosocial rehabilitation unit and a mental health outpatients program.
About the role:
This position works with a multidisciplinary team to provide care and facilitate recovery through the use of evidence-based treatment approaches and participation in the delivery of therapeutic programs.
- Delivery of high quality care coordination, 'At Risk' assessments and provision of individual and group programs
- Administer and monitor the effects of medical interventions
- Maintain comprehensive, patient focused, clinical documentation
Skills and experience:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Mental Health Nursing or equivalent
- Registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulations Agency (AHPRA)
We value our staff and provide a range of employee benefits including:
- Great salary packaging conditions & leave entitlements
- Bonus payment for relevant postgrad qualifications
- Ongoing training and professional development
- Comprehensive Health and Wellbeing Programs including: Staff health service, Critical Incident Stress Management and Employee Assistance Programs.
Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and developing a diverse workforce which reflects the community we serve. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people who identify as LGBTQI, people with a lived experience of disability, as well as people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
This position is subject to a Police Check. A Working With Children Check is a condition of employment to work at Dame Phyllis Frost Centre.
Forensicare promotes the following values: responsiveness, integrity, impartiality, accountability, respect and leadership; and promotes behaviours that are consistent with these values at all times. Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and offers a smoke free environment.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: